Events that occurred on 18 October.
 On Earth
- 1894 - Geoffrey Bache Smith, member of the T.C.B.S., is born.
- 1946 - Composer Howard Shore is born.
- 1954 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to the Recteur of the University of Liège.
- 1986 - Scholar Clyde S. Kilby dies.
- 1979 - The Middle-earth Quiz Book is published.
- 2009 - Mereth Aderthad XV, or "EstelCon", in Carodna, Spain.
 In Arda
- F.A. 495:
- T.A. 3018:
- With Frodo severely wounded, Strider and the four hobbits travel slowly towards Rivendell. They find Bilbo's Trolls and soon after the East Road. There they are found by Glorfindel at dusk.
- Gandalf reaches Rivendell from the North and sends Shadowfax back to Rohan.
- Boromir travels towards Rivendell to ask for counsel.