|"William" by Liz Danforth|
|Death||T.A. 2941 |
|Notable for||Capturing Thorin and Company|
|Gallery||Images of William Huggins|
Bill seems to have been the leader of the troll-band — at least, it was he who led them to the woodlands of Trollshaws, according to his companions. It was William's purse that Bilbo Baggins tried to pickpocket as his first act of "burglary", an attempt that brought the entire expedition close to disaster. Luckily, Gandalf was able to trick William and his two companions into arguing together until sunrise, whereupon they all turned to stone.
 Portrayal in adaptations
|William in adaptations|
- The Trolls are encountered in the second episode, "Out of the Frying-pan into the Fire". Brian Haines plays Bert, Victor Lucas Bill, and Francis de Wolff Tom. The scene is taken verbatim from the book.
- The troll's scene is abbreviated but largely adapted without alterations. No actors are credited for the individual parts of the three trolls.
- The three trolls are the first obstacle encountered after leaving Bag End.
1982-97: Middle-earth Role Playing:
- William is a member of the Hugath tribe of Stone Trolls of the Trollshaw. In Hobbit lore he is known as "William Huggins", while his real name is Wûluag Hugath.
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- William is playable both as a Hazard Creature and as a Minion. The troll is also given the MERP variant name, Wûluag.
2003: The Hobbit (2003 video game):
- Bert, Bill and Tom are the first bosses of the game, though they cannot be fought. Bilbo has to sneak around the Trolls, waiting for them to turn or walk away.
2007: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Bert, Tom and Bill, turned to stone, can be found in the wilderness of the Trollshaws.
- William is portrayed (through motion capture) by Peter Hambleton.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Roast Mutton"
- ↑ R. Mark Colburn, Peter C. Fenlon, John D. Ruemmler, Terry K. Amthor, Jessica M. Ney (1989), Lords of Middle-earth Vol III: Hobbits, Dwarves, Ents, Orcs & Trolls (#8004)