|Titles||King of Arthedain|
|Birth||T.A. 1711 |
|Rule||T.A. 1813 - 1891|
|Death||T.A. 1891 (aged 180)|
|House||House of Isildur|
Araval, in coalition with the Elves of Lindon and Rivendell, went to battle with the forces of Angmar in T.A. 1851 and returned victorious. After this victory, Araval attempted to re-occupy Cardolan, but the "evil wights" (likely referring to the Barrow-wights) terrified anyone who attempted to dwell there.
Unfortunately, Araval's victory was of no avail in the long term: under Araphant, Araval's son, Angmar recovered and continued its attacks on Arnor; and under Arvedui, Araval's grandson, Angmar finally defeated Arthedain, laying Arnor to waste and scattering the remnants of the Dúnedain.
Araval is Sindarin. Its meaning is not glossed. It means likely "Golden King" or "King of Gold". Paul Strack explains, that the intial element of his name is ara ("noble") and its final element might be the lenited form val of malt ("gold") (as suggested by David Salo). His earlier name Arvallen (mallen, "golden"), is of similar meaning. It is comparable to Argeleb ("Lord of Silver").
1553 - 1743
1633 - 1813
1711 - 1891
1789 - 1964
1864 - 1974†
 Other versions of the legendarium
In another manuscript, Araval is said to have driven the evil wights north. An early name for Araval was Arvallen.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Realms in Exile", "The Northern Line: Heirs of Isildur"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "VII. The Heirs of Elendil", pp. 195, 209-210
- ↑ Jim Allan (1978), An Introduction to Elvish, p. 72
- ↑ David Salo, Elfling message 30680 (20 November 2004) and 30687 (20 November 2004)
- ↑ Paul Strack, "S. Araval m.", Eldamo - An Elvish Lexicon (accessed 29 July 2021)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "VII. The Heirs of Elendil", Commentary, commentary to the kings from Argeleb I to Arvedui, 23. p. 209
House of Isildur
Cadet branch of House of Elros
|21st Heir of Isildur|
T.A. 1813 - 1891
|13th King of Arthedain|
T.A. 1813 - 1891