I used to be the anonymous editor 22.214.171.124 (contribs) (talk), but I grew a name of my own.
Unanswerable questions that keep me up nights
- What happened to Elladan and Elrohir?
- When exactly did Celeborn leave Middle-earth?
- Did he leave before 171 and Findegil just didn't know about it?
- Did Círdan and Glorfindel (and literally all other remaining Elves of the First Age) actually take ship with Celeborn, or is that an overly literal interpretation of "the last living memory of the Elder Days?" Bombadil and Treebeard are still around, after all.
- Did any Noldor remain in Middle-earth after the White Ship left? The Silmarillion suggests not, Appendix A hedges.
- If so, what about after the Last Ship?
- Who counts as a Noldo for this purpose (e.g. the sons of Elrond, Noldor-blooded Galadhrim of Lórien)?
- Did any Eldar choose to fade in Middle-earth rather than leave bodily (e.g. Thranduil)?
- Did any Elves build their own ships (cf. Legolas) after the "Last" Ship?
- Did any Silvans or Avari choose to go West?
- Did Avari have the grace to go West?
- If not, do Silvans count as Eldar or Avari?
- Which four of the Seven Rings were consumed by dragonfire? The only one we know for sure survived is the Ring of the Longbeards.
- Who were the Nine Nazgûl?
- Was the Witch-king truly of Númenórean descent? (Tolkien's final word on the subject was literally "probably.")
- Why didn't Orodreth send Finduilas to Círdan for safekeeping at the same time as Gil-galad?
- Related: what years were Finduilas and Gil-galad born?
| My speculation on the subject
| • Finduilas was already an adult when Minas Tirith fell to Sauron in F.A. 456 so there was no need to protect her in that way, whereas Gil-galad was a child (somewhere between 20ish and 40ish years old).
| • Finduilas may have already been betrothed to (or otherwise romantically involved with) Gwindor at this point, which would give her a motive to remain on Tol Sirion while Dorthonion was being overrun.
| • We know that some of Angrod's (and presumably Aegnor's) people also went to the Havens after the fall of Dorthonion in F.A. 455, so Orodreth's family would not be alone among the Noldor of the House of Finarfin in forsaking Nargothrond.
| • The family could potentially have reunited after the Sons of Fëanor were expelled from Nargothrond in F.A. 465, but West Beleriand was still dangerous and such a journey may have been considered too risky.
| • Maybe Gil-galad and his mother just had no desire to return to Orodreth, or after F.A. 490 recognized that the bridge was a bad call and wanted no part of it. Big oof in that case.
- Who is the elder: Elros or Elrond?
Things I like
- FAQ of the Rings – Mostly great information and some interesting speculation about the Rings of Power.
- The Last Ringbearer – The very best fan fiction ever written, and possibly the only work of fan fiction with genuine literary merit.
- My favorite characters in the Legendarium: Círdan, Celeborn, Elmo. I like the ones who don't get a lot of attention but whose efforts in the background were nonetheless essential.
- Reference templates