Steve White Map
Ederchil, I noticed you took the map out of this article. Steve White is sort of our house artist, so their weren't any legal problems. Was there something about the map that was greatly inaccurate?--Theoden1 08:52, 3 August 2008 (EDT)
- It featured the places "Northway", "Southway", "Westhouse" and "Oakleaf". They don't appear in the fiction. Maybe a better map without fanon towns is better. -- Ederchil 09:04, 3 August 2008 (EDT)
Do the Hobbits have a state religion or express a religious belief in general?
I'd like to know as in part to note the hobbits as it seem seem to be a unique and very difference people compare to the rest of Middle Earth people itself. So I like to have this answered or discussed, so to note it also seem to be a very interesting subject as well too.
- Tolkien never actually mentioned Hobbit religion - Sam's "Lor' bless you" is just a figure of speech - but if we would go into the realm of fanwank, I'm not sure.
- Yes/No: There are three religious views known AFAIK, worship of Eru, worship of Melkor/Sauron, and pre-Númenórean (Tal-Elmar). If Hobbits worshipped, they worshipped Eru, but I doubt whether they had actually heard of him; they left little tales so old. It could have been brought in by the Númenóreans, or the Dwarves, if they could find Hobbits willing to listen to them.
- No: Hobbits had little to none government - a happy state of anarchy - so I doubt they had anything of organized religion.
- I once read the Professor refer to the hobbits as having a 'natural religion,' meaning that their very way of life put them comfortably into the order of things as God intended, and nothing more was needed from them (prayer, worship, etc.). I'm sorry, but I cant find the source at the moment.TheBoost 18:31, 21 January 2010 (UTC)
I know that the viewing the page depends on screen dimensions and resolution, but I have always found the large thumbnail of the map and the compass rose problemous. I restructured the geography section and moved the graphics as down as possible, hoping they don't conflict with the infobox to the right. But that's just me. Sage 09:47, 4 November 2014 (UTC)