Tolkien Gateway:Featured articles/NominationsTolkien Gateway:Featured articles/Archive.
In considering an article, please review the nomination criteria below to judge for yourself whether the article meets the criteria. If you are satisfied, then create a new section at the bottom of the page, titled with the name of the article, with your rationale for nomination. Should the nomination prove successful, the article could soon be featured on the Main Page.
Any registered user can nominate an article for featured status. It should be well-written, complete, illustrated, and referenced and meet these specific criteria:
- The text is entirely written by TG editors with correct English spelling, grammar and punctuation;
- There are no outstanding maintenance templates on the article;
- The article is well-referenced throughout, leaving the reader under no illusions as to where to source information themselves;
- The article conforms to TG's Standards, as well as those laid out in the relevant Project;
- The text is sprinkled with relevant images (including captions) of appropriate size - if necessary, including a gallery;
- Articles are at least 5,000 bytes long;
- Where applicable, contains "History", "Portrayal in Adaptations", "In Other Versions of the Legendarium", "See Also", "Genealogy", "Etymology", "Other Names and Titles" and "Bibliography" sections;
- Where applicable, full use has been made of relevant templates, e.g.: disambiguation, see also, main, navigation, pronounce, familytree, sequence;
- Where applicable, contains interwiki links;
- Preferably no red-links, but no more than half-a-dozen.
After nomination, an article should receive five votes with with no objections within a month or so; each user being able to cast one vote. Each entry should begin with Agree, Disagree or Undecided and be signed by the user, and, if they choose, an explanation of their vote.
Agree: I think it would be a wonderful to feature an article on a weapon, especially one with such an early history. The article is very engaging and well done -Sindarinelf
Agree. I think this article is very well-written and it would be great to feature a weapon, especially one as important as Gurthang. -Ancalagon the Black 17:40, 4 October 2020 (UTC)
Agree. I think it is an fantastic idea to feature a weapon, and this is a so important one in the legendarium. The article is clear and entertaining. -Mithrandir
Agree. The article is better now. --LorenzoCB 12:18, 20 January 2022 (UTC)
It's a pretty impressive article, and well deserved for my favourite character and such an interesting character.--07:14, 6 June 2008 (EDT)
- Agree. If I'm not mistaking, Gandalf has already been FA once. That doesn't mean it can't be again, but it's near the end of the queue. Oh, agree, btw. but the sourcing needs to be a bit better. -- Ederchil 08:01, 6 June 2008 (EDT)
- Agree. This article is extensive, appears complete, well-referenced, and lavishly illustrated. It is a prime example of what an FA should be.--Theoden1 13:31, 7 June 2008 (EDT)
- Agree. Yes, quite well done. Excellent, in fact.--Ingwe
- Agree. Nice long article, good information, plus good introduction into Tolkien. —Unsigned comment by ZehnWaters (talk • contribs).
- Agree A Middle Earth without Gandalf, is not a true Middle Eearth at all.--Breragor • (Talk • Contribs • Edits)
- Agree. After reading it, I have to admit it is the best article we have.--Odysseas-Spartan53 10:50, 23 May 2009 (UTC)
- Agree. Olorin, Mithrandir, Gandalf, conjurer, istar, mighty maiar, there is so much to be told of my favourite immortal. Elvenshieldmaiden
- Agree. Exellent Article! Besides, Gandalf is the heart of Tolkien's work. His article deserves to be featured. mthomas 12:30, 7 June 2009 (UTC)
- Agree. The first thing new users see is the main page, and generally people are most familiar with Gandalf. --Yurpee
- Agree. A central character in the LoTR trilogy. Everyone knows who he is and he deserves a good moment in the spotlight. -- Naruvir
- Disagree - I think it's a big cluttered in its structure and severely lacks sources required to make it worthy of the title. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 14:23, 4 January 2011 (UTC)
- Agree. It definitely deserves to be featured, but I think later, after the revisions are done because of the Hobbit movies coming. —Unsigned comment by Lilybell (talk • contribs).
- Agree. It is a well written article, the main picture is appropriate, and there are very little red links. This article gives a great introduction to Gandalf for someone who is new to Tolkien's works. Plus, the character is just all-around amazing. --Joszyboom
- Agree. I think it is an important fact that Gandalf is a Miar, and not just a human with powers. I don't think that many people would know that, but it is important and this will help. -- quark
- Agree. I remember when I was just getting into Tolkien's works in 6th grade with The Hobbit and had no idea who Gandalf was then I went to LOTR and Gandalf with the "You Shall Not Pass" I was amazed and started to delve deeper but that was my own initiative if this article goes on the home page then any new Tolkien reader would go and read it learning a substantial amount of knowledge. -- Aragorn is Awesome
- Agree. But, people get so excited about editing his article that they forget the citations...--Erónèhire 02:33, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
- Agree. It's a pretty big article and includes all information like detailed history as well as many images.--Shivam 07:38, 9 April 2021 (UTC)
- Disagree. Needs more references and the matter of his names is a mess. I'd change my vote if this is solved (I hope I can contribute anytime soon). --LorenzoCB 11:00, 13 April 2022 (UTC)
As Smaug has been featured for almost nine months now I think it is time to look for a new featured article. Personally I think Dwalin might be a good choice. It is well-writen, sourced, no maintaince templates and only one red link. Although Dwalin isn't as long as previous featured articles, it covers (almost) all information that can be found in the books. And, with The Hobbit (film series) coming this year people will search for more information about the Hobbit and characters/locations. Therefore it would be good if an article related to The Hobbit will appear on the main page. --Amroth 19:57, 9 March 2012 (UTC)
- +1.--Morgan 20:07, 9 March 2012 (UTC)
- Any other opinions? --Amroth 14:53, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- I don't like the main image.-- 15:20, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- Why not an image from The Hobbit film?--Erónèhire 02:31, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
Very extensive article with good structure and all the possible references. Of all the articles I've contributed to, this is the one I feel more proud of. --LorenzoCB 11:00, 13 April 2022 (UTC)
- Agreed. As well as being a quality article it is a location mentioned in both TH and FotR but with no context and should be of interest to new readers. -JR Snow 12:09, 13 April 2022 (UTC)
- Agree. I quite like the Gondolin article. It's well sourced and detailed, but not excessively long. I'd be happy to see it featured. --Grace18 22:34, 14 April 2022 (UTC)