The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion
|The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion|
|Author||Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull|
|Publisher||HarperCollins (UK) & Houghton Mifflin (US)|
|Format||Hardcover with dustjacket, Paperback|
- Rare or previously unpublished content
- A newly transcribed version of Nomenclature of The Lord of the Rings. Another version of this was published as "Guide to the Names in The Lord of the Rings" in A Tolkien Compass (1975).
- Part of Tolkien's 1951 letter to Milton Waldman, previously unpublished in the UK.
- A reproduction of a manuscript page showing a synoptic time scheme used while writing The Lord of the Rings. It summarizes the movements of characters between the 8th and the 12th of March.
- Formerly unpublished parts of "The Hunt for the Ring" and "Index questions"
- Notes on significant changes made by the author and by Christopher Tolkien after his father's death
- Brief references to illustrations, maps, and earlier versions of the text
- References to people, places, and events that appear in other books by Tolkien
- Explanations of archaic and unusual words
- Translations and primers on how to use Tolkien's invented languages