|The Old Mill as seen in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring|
|Other names||Hobbiton Mill|
|People and History|
|Gallery||Images of the Old Mill|
The Old Mill was the water-mill of Hobbiton, owned and run by the Sandyman Family. The Old Mill was a corn mill powered by a large water wheel. It lay directly adjacent to the bridge across the Water and next to the Old Grange as well.
In S.R. 1341 Bilbo Baggins ran by the Mill and a mile beyond to get to the Green Dragon to meet Thorin and Company. By S.R. 1418 Sandyman had been the miller for some time and passed down his craft to his son, Ted. Lotho Sackville-Baggins bought the mill, and many other buildings in Hobbiton, before he moved in to Bag End. When Sharkey came to the Shire, the Mill was knocked down and replaced by a New Mill, operated by Ted Sandyman and several Ruffians. After Sharkey was driven out, this new brick building was demolished.
 Other versions of the legendarium
In the original version of Thorin's letter to Bilbo the rendezvous point for the beginning of the journey to the Lonely Mountain was the Great Mill. This was only changed to the Green Dragon in the page proofs just before the story was published.
 Portrayal in adaptations
- The Old Mill is part of the Hobbiton set. The New Mill is visible in Sam's vision of the Mirror of Galadriel.
- Ted Sandyman operates the Old Mill. Sancho Proudfoot stole an important pin from the water-wheel, and one of the side-quests is to get it back.
2003: The Hobbit (2003 video game):
- The Mill stands next to the broken bridge. Sandyman cannot fix the bridge because his son Carl stole his hammer and nails. The nails are on the mill's first floor. Bell Goodchild hides out at the second floor, only accessible by riding the water-wheel.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Long-expected Party"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Roast Mutton"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Scouring of the Shire"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, John D. Rateliff (ed.), The History of The Hobbit, Mr. Baggins, The Second Phase, "Trolls", p. 89
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, John D. Rateliff (ed.), The History of The Hobbit, Mr. Baggins, The Second Phase, "Trolls", note 2, p. 98