|Location||East Beleriand, east of Doriath adjacent to the Celon|
|People and History|
|Inhabitants||Eöl, Aredhel, and Maeglin|
|Events||First meeting of Melian and Thingol|
|Gallery||Images of Nan Elmoth|
Nan Elmoth was a forest in East Beleriand east of Doriath, south of the River Celon, and north of Estolad. One of the two roads that the Dwarves took from Blue Mountains towards Beleriand passed near Nan Elmoth. There the trees grew to be the tallest and darkest in Beleriand, blocking the sun entirely from the forest floor.
Melian met Thingol in Nan Elmoth, and stayed motionless for years while the trees grew around them. When they woke up, they founded the realm of Doriath. Nan Elmoth was held to be part of Doriath, and Eöl the Dark Elf paid Thingol with the black sword Anglachel as a fee for living there. Eöl dwelt with his wife Aredhel and their son Maeglin.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Map of Beleriand and the Lands to the North"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Maeglin"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Thingol and Melian"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Túrin Turambar"
- ↑ Robert Foster, The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, p. 278