|Other names||The Great Echo|
|Location||North of the Firth of Drengist, west of Ered Lómin|
|Description||Empty coastland known for its echoes|
|Events||Ungoliant's attack upon Morgoth|
Battle of the Lammoth
Lammoth, the "Great Echo", was a shoreland region far to the northwest of Beleriand, north of Drengist and west of the Ered Lómin. It was where Ungoliant set upon Morgoth in an attempt to gain the Silmarils. As Morgoth was being strangled he cried out in anguish and the echoes of this shout remained in the land thereafter. His cry was heard by the Balrogs from Angband who came and rescued their lord from the great spider.
In the dawn of the First Age (F.A. 1), the Battle of the Lammoth was fought here between the Noldor of Fingolfin and a large host of Orcs as the Noldor marched southwards into Middle-earth, resulting in a crushing defeat for Morgoth.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Map of Beleriand and the Lands to the North"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Flight of the Noldor"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Morgoth's Ring, "Part Three. The Later Quenta Silmarillion: (II) The Second Phase: Of the Thieves' Quarrel", pp. 295-297
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "XI. The Shibboleth of Fëanor", "The names of Finwë's descendants", pp. 345, 362
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Appendix: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin Names", entry "lóm"