Kings of Khazad-dûm
This article or section needs to be cleaned up to conform to a higher standard of article quality.
Founded in the Years of the Trees by Durin the Deathless, the kingdom lasted for thousands of years before its people were driven into exile by a Balrog in T.A. 1980. The defeat of Durin's Bane and Sauron in the War of the Ring might have allowed Durin VII to reclaim their ancestral home sometime in the Fourth Age.
 List of known Kings
While sixty or more kings might have ruled Khazad-dûm through the ages, only nine have been recorded:
- Durin the Deathless - the founder and first King of Khazad-dûm in the First Age.
- Durin II - during whose time the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm traded with Men of the Vales of Anduin.
- Durin III - who was a friend of the Elves of Ost-in-Edhil and was given the first of the Seven Rings by Celebrimbor. He later sealed the Doors of Durin when Sauron destroyed Ost-in-Edhil in S.A. 1697.
- Durin IV (presumably)
- Durin V (presumably)
- Durin VI - the king whose Dwarves delved to deep into the earth in their search for mithril and awoke a Balrog. He was killed shortly after its release in T.A. 1980.
- Náin I - who was king for less than a year before he too was killed by the Balrog. Durin's folk then fled their ancestral home and Khazad-dûm became known as Moria, the "Black Pit".
- (Balin led a colony that attempted to retake Moria in T.A. 2989. Balin was a descendent of Durin, but not of the senior male line of descent, while the King of Durin's Folk was Dáin Ironfoot. As such, Balin ruled only as Lord of Moria and only for five years.)
- Durin VII - said to have returned to Moria and refounded Khazad-dûm in the Fourth Age.
|Kings of Durin's Folk|
|Durin I* (Y.T.) · Durin II* · Durin III* (fl. S.A. 1600) · Durin IV* · Durin V* · Durin VI* (until T.A. 1980) · Náin I* (1980 - 1981) · Thráin I† (1981 - 2190) · Thorin I† (2190 - 2289) · Glóin (2289 - 2385) · Óin (2385 - 2488) · Náin II (2488 - 2585) · Dáin I (2585 - 2589) · Thrór† (2585 - 2790) · Thráin II (2790 - 2850) · Thorin II Oakenshield† (2850 - 2941) · Dáin II Ironfoot† (2941 - 3019) · Thorin III Stonehelm† (T.A. 3019 - Fourth Age) · Durin VII (Fourth Age)*|
|* Kings of Khazad-dûm · † Kings under the Mountain|