|Location||Northern Ephel Dúath, west of the valley of Udûn|
Orcs and other evil creatures (later)
|Gallery||Images of Durthang|
Durthang was originally a stronghold of Gondor, constructed during the early Third Age for overlooking the entrance to Mordor in the aftermath of the War of the Last Alliance. However, as Gondor’s power declined, Durthang was eventually abandoned, and by T.A. 1640 Mordor was left unguarded. The land became repopulated with Sauron’s servants, and Durthang eventually became an Orcish stronghold.
During the War of the Ring, a troop of Orcs from Durthang caught up with a band of Orcs that was marching eastward in Mordor. Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee were in that band, disguised as Orcs and they were forced to march along with the troop for some distance before they were able to slip away.
 Portrayal in adaptations
- Durthang is one of the strongholds in Udûn, which is the starting location of the game.
2017: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Durthang was added, along with a number of landmarks in Mordor, in the game's sixth major expansion.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "Map of Rohan, Gondor, and Mordor"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Land of Shadow"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Appendix: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin Names"