|The sign of the Green Dragon from The Lord of the Rings Online|
|Location||Bywater, Westfarthing, in the Shire|
|People and History|
|Events||Start of the Quest of Erebor|
The Green Dragon was one of the many inns of the Shire. It was located in Bywater on the Bywater Road and was the building nearest to Hobbiton, being one mile south-east from the bridge over the Water that led to Bag End. As such, Hobbits from both villages could be seen there.
In T.A. 2941 when Bilbo Baggins looked at the letter that Thorin Oakenshield had left on his mantelpiece after the Unexpected Party, he found that he only had ten minutes to arrive punctually for the 11 a.m. start of the quest to the Lonely Mountain at the Green Dragon Inn. Bilbo made it, barely, and found that the Thorin and Company were packed and ready to go.
On 12 April 3018, the same day that Gandalf returned to the Shire after many years, Samwise Gamgee was visiting the Green Dragon when the talk turned to Tree-men, one of whom had been seen by Sam's cousin Hal. Although queer tales had begun to be heard in the Shire the hobbits at the inn, especially Ted Sandyman, laughed at Sam's story.
When Frodo, Merry, Pippin, and Sam returned to Bywater on 2 November 3019 they found the Green Dragon closed with broken windows and a half dozen Ruffians loitering nearby. When they insulted Frodo the other three hobbits drove the men away.
After the Ruffians and Sharkey had either been killed or driven away the Green Dragon Inn was undoubtedly restored.
Other Versions of the Legendarium
In the original version of Thorin's letter to Bilbo, the rendezvous point for the start of the journey to the Lonely Mountain was the Great Mill. Not long before the story was published this was changed to the inn, first named the Green Man and finally the Green Dragon.
Portrayal in adaptations
- The Green Dragon is the location of several scenes. The activities from the Ivy Bush were relocated here. Rose Cotton appears there, implying that she works there as a barmaid.
- The Green Dragon is situated in Bywater. Daddy Twofoot sits outside, while inside, Robin Smallburrow, Rose Cotton and Hamfast Gamgee can be found. Merry and Pippin reveal their "conspiracy" there.
2003: The Hobbit (2003 video game):
- The Green Dragon is a small building with a thatched roof. Entering it marks the end of the first level.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Long-expected Party"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Scouring of the Shire"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Roast Mutton"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Great Years"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "The Shadow of the Past"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Chief Days from the Fall of Barad-dûr to the End of the Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, John D. Rateliff (ed.), The History of The Hobbit, Mr. Baggins, The Second Phase, "Trolls", p. 89
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, John D. Rateliff (ed.), The History of The Hobbit, Mr. Baggins, The Second Phase, "Trolls", note 2, p. 98