Forum:The exact format/style of an image author's permission ?
I would like to ask: What exact form should the permission by the author of an image/artwork take, if he or she agrees to contribute their image/artwork to Tolkien Gateway ? I've searched the forums and the policy and help articles, but didn't find a sufficient answer. As an example, let's say I find some excellnt artwork online, contact its author, ask about permission to upload the art to TG, and the author agrees. So far so good. But how should the permission be worded, should it be some template, should it be some attached screenshot of the e-mail or personal message where the author gave his or her permission ? I just want to be sure whether we need some tangible proof about the granting of the permission. Maybe I'm mistaken, but it just seems logical to me, that the permission should be documented in some way. I've never uploaded any images or artwork to TG and I'd prefer to be on the safe side of clearly showing/citing an author's explicit permission. Thanks you for any explanation on the details of this process. --A Hobbit Gentleman 20:57, 15 June 2021 (UTC)
- What you would do is first make a page titled thusly: Tolkien Gateway:Copyrights/artistname. The way you do that is type it in the search bar and click the redlink; it should give you an option to create that page. What you would do next is fill the page with the following:
- artistname has kindly granted his/her permission to use [:Category:Images by artistname|his/her artwork] on [Tolkien Gateway].
- Date:Date of permission granted
- User who sought the permission via site/email/however it was asked: [User:A Hobbit Gentleman|A Hobbit Gentleman]
- [Category:Evidence of permission granted by copyright holders]
- (However make sure to double the curly and regular brackets where I did not. I am woefully ignorant of how to do either of those without it creating a link, and I want to show how to format them.)
- What you would do after that is go to Template:Copyright-permission and fill it out as instructed on the site after uploading an image from the artist.
- I hope this was of assistance.
- Also, it is appropiate to save a screenshot of evidence that you actually asked permission, as an admin will ask for it at some moment. --LorenzoCB 06:48, 16 June 2021 (UTC)