Revision as of 08:07, 21 October 2020 by Sage
Events that occurred on 23 September.
 On Earth
- 1930 - J.R.R. Tolkien completes a manuscript of The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun
- 1944 - J.R.R. Tolkien starts writing Letter 81.
- 1960 - Voice actor Jason Carter is born.
- 1977 - Oxonmoot 1977 at The Welsh Poney.
- 1978 - Oxonmoot 1978 at Oxford Town Hall.
- 1983 - Oxonmoot 1983 at Oxford Town Hall.
- 1988 - Oxonmoot 1988 at Oxford Town Hall.
- 1989 - Oxonmoot 1989 at Oxford Town Hall.
- 1990 - Oxonmoot 1990 at Oxford Town Hall.
- 1993 - Morgoth's Ring is published in the UK.
- 2000 - Oxonmoot 2000 at St Antony's College.
- 2001 - Oxonmoot 2001 at St Antony's College.
- 2004 - There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale is published.
- 2011 - Oxonmoot 2011 at Lady Margaret Hall.
- 2012 - Oxonmoot 2012 at Lady Margaret Hall.
- 2016 - Actor William Johnson dies.
- 2017 - Oxonmoot 2017 at St Antony's College.
- 2018 - Oxonmoot 2018 at St Antony's College.
- 2019 - "Something Has Gone Crack" is published.
 In Arda
- T.A. 3001:
- The day after the Birthday Party, Frodo manages the inheritance of Bilbo's belongings and distributes his parting gifts.
- The rumor spreads crowds of hobbits come to loot Bag End and seek treasure; including the Sackville-Bagginses who also demand to see Bilbo's will.
- At the evening Gandalf visits Frodo, warning him not to use the Ring and keep it secret. He changes his plans and begins seeking Gollum.
- T.A. 3018:
- Four Riders enter the Shire before dawn. The others pursue the Rangers eastward, and then return to watch the Greenway.
- Merry Brandybuck loads a cart with the remainder of Frodo's luggage and leaves for Crickhollow with Fatty Bolger.
- After lunch Folco Boffin leaves Frodo with Pippin. Lobelia visits Bag End with Lotho to inspect.
- Khamûl comes to Hobbiton at nightfall and interrogates Gaffer Gamgee, who directs him to Buckland. Frodo leaves with Sam and Pippin.
- The three hobbits walk west of Hobbiton, traverse the Water, and after supper they join the road leading to Buckleberry. They camp in a fir-wood.